Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pessimism (n.):

1. the tendency to see, anticipate, or emphasize only bad or undesirable outcomes, results, conditions, problems, etc.
2. the doctrine that the existing world is the worst of all possible worlds, or that all things naturally tend to evil.
3. the belief that the evil and pain in the world are not compensated for by goodness and happiness.
You may be the kindest, most caring, giving, and loving person in the world, but pessimism will kill all of that. It kills the conversation, it makes everyone else feel guilty and uncomfortable, and most of all, it's detrimental to your health. Maybe it takes me seeing it from an outside perspective. Maybe it takes me realizing that my mother's pessimism makes me not enjoy spending time with her, even though I love her so dearly, and I know she is a good person, for me to know that I never ever want to be like that. A painful lesson, because even if I make myself better, I still wish I could help her make herself happier.

No comments: